Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Carmel, Indiana License Branch

I have not had a good experience at a license in all the years that I have had my license. Today was the first.

It started with the web site. Each branch had listed its average time to get people in and out of the branch. It also had listed the average time for the entire state to get people in and out of all branches. Then you can compare the average time of the branch you are interested in as compared to the rest of the state and compared to others in your area.

The site also eluded to that I could go to any branch in the state to do what I needed to do. What I needed for renewing plates, which in the past was the one thing I think I had to do at a branch in my county. I called to try to get confirmation. The lady I talked to said that she was pretty sure that I could go anywhere. I have been burned by calling places and then the story not being the same when I got there in person. This time when I got there everything was fine.

License branches have always felt like K-Mart when I have gone into them. This one felt a lot more comfortable. Just like with the other things I am going to comment on here I'm not sure at this point if it was just this branch.

When I walked in they had the usual check in line to route you correctly. The line was five people deep, but the people that were doing the servicing were coming available. They immediately called people over before they checked in. That was good that the thing designed to make things more efficient did not become a bottle neck.

I was in and out in just a few minutes. If this is common across the entire state then I'm feeling a bit better about our state government. Although, this still does not make up for that Daylight Saving Time thing, but that is probably driven by a different department.

No comments: